Sashastra Seema Bal Act, 2007
86. Powers of a Summary Force Court.
1. Subject to the provisions of sub-section (2), a Summary Force Court may try any offence punishable under this Act.
2. When there is no grave reason for immediate action and reference can without detriment to discipline be made to the officer empowered to convene a Petty Force Court for the trial of the alleged offender, an officer holding a Summary Force Court shall not try without such reference any offence punishable under any of the sections 16, 19 and 49, or any offender against the officer holding the Court.
3. A Summary Force Court may try any person subject to this Act and under the command of the officer holding the Court, except an officer or a subordinate officer.
4. A Summary Force Court may pass any sentence which may be passed under this Act, except the sentence of death or of imprisonment for a term exceeding the limit specified in sub-section (5).
5. The limit referred to in sub-section (4) shall be,
a. one year, if the officer holding the Force Court holds the rank not below that of a Commandant;
b. three months, in any other case.