In this Act, unless there is anything repugnant in the subject or context,
(a) "Board" means the 7*** Rubber Board constituted under this Act;
(b) "dealer", means any person who deals in rubber, whether wholesale or retail, or holds stocks of rubber, and includes the representative or agent of a dealer;
(c) "estate" means any area administered as one unit which contains land planted with rubber plants;
8[(cc) "Executive Director" means the Executive Director appointed under this Act;]
(d) "export" and "import" mean respectively taking out of, and bringing into 9[India] by sea, land or air;
10[(dd) "India" means the territory of India excluding the State of Jammu and Kashmir*;]
(e) "manufacturer" means any person engaged in the manufacture of any article in the making of which rubber is used;
(f) "owner" includes any agent of an owner and a mortgagee in possession and a lessee of an estate;
(g) "prescribed" means prescribed by rules made under this Act;
11[(ga) "processor" means a person who undertakes the processing of rubber;]
(h) "rubber" means
(i) crude rubber, that is to say, rubber prepared from the leaves, bark or latex of any rubber plant;
(ii) the latex of any rubber plant whether fluid or coagulated, in any stage of the treatment to which it is subjected during the process of conversion into rubber;
(iii) latex (dry rubber content) in any state of concentration, and includes scrap rubber, sheet rubber, rubber in powder and all forms and varieties of crepe rubber, but does not include rubber contained in any manufactured article;
(i) "rubber plant" includes plants, trees, shrubs or vines of any of the following:
(i) Hevea Braziliensis (Para Rubber),
(ii) Manihot Glaziovii (Ceara Rubber),
(iii) Castillio elastica,
(iv) Ficus elastica (Rambong), and
(v) any other plant which the Board may, by notification in the Gazette of India, declare to be a rubber plant for the purposes of this Act;
(j) "Rubber Production Commissioner" means the Rubber Production Commissioner appointed under this Act;
1[(k) "small grower" means an owner whose estate does not exceed 2[fifty acres] in area.]
1.The Act has been extended to Pondicherry on 1-10-1963 vide Reg. 7 of 1963, s. 3 and the First Schedule and to Dadra and Nagar Haveli (w.e.f. 1-7-1965) by Reg. 6 of 1963, s. 2 and First Schedule.
2. Subs. by Act 54 of 1954, s. 2, for "under central control" (w.e.f. 1-8-1955).
3. The words "so far as regards the production and marketing of rubber, and for regulating export and import of rubber" omitted by s. 2, ibid. (w.e.f. 1-8-1955).
4. The brackets and words "(Production and Marketing)" omitted by s. 3, ibid. (w.e.f. 1-8-1955).
5. Subs. by Act 3 of 1951, s. 3 and the Schedule, for "except Part B States" (w.e.f. 1-4-1951).
6. Subs. by Act 54 of 1954, s. 4, for section 2 (w.e.f. 1-8-1955).
7. The word "Indian" omitted by s. 5, ibid. (w.e.f. 1-8-1955).
8. The words in brackets shall stand inserted (date to be notified) by Act 54 of 1982, s. 2.
9. Subs. by Act 3 of 1951, s. 3 and the Schedule, for "the States" (w.e.f. 1-4-1951).
10. Ins. by s. 3 and Schedule, ibid. (w.e.f.1-4-1951).
11.The words in brackets shall stand inserted (date to be notified) by Act 4 of 2010, s. 2.
*. Vide Notification No. S.O. 3912(E), dated 30th October, 2019, this Act is made applicable to the Union territory of Jammu and Kashmir and the Union territory of Ladakh.