Establishment of River Boards
4. Establishment of Boards.-
(1) The Central Government may, on a request received in this behalf from a State Government or otherwise, by notification in the Official Gazette, establish a River Board for advising the Governments interested in relation to such matters concerning the regulation or development of an inter-State river or river valley or any specified part thereof and for performing such other functions as may be specified in the notification, and different Boards may be established for different inter-State rivers or river valleys: Provided that no such notification shall be except after consultation with the Governments interested with respect to the proposal to establish the Board, the persons to be appointed as members thereof and the functions which the Board may be empowered to perform.
(2) A Board may be established under such name as may be specified in the notification under sub-section (1).
(3) Every Board so established shall be a body corporate having perpetual succession and a common seal, and shall by the said name sue and be sued.
(4) Every Board shall exercise its jurisdiction within such limits of the river (including its tributaries, if any) or river valley as may be specified in the notification under sub-section (1) and the area so specified shall be called the area of operation of the Board.
1. 15th May, 1957, vide notification No. EL-I-452 (17)/57, dated 11th May, 1957, see Gazette of India, Extraordinary, Part II, sec. 1.
1st October, 1973, vide Reg. 7 of 1963, s. 3 and the First Schedule in respect of Pondicherry.
1st July 1965, vide Reg. 6 of 1963, s. 2 and the First Schedule extended to and brought into force in respect of the Dadra and Nagar Haveli.