Right to Fair Compensation and Transparency in Land Acquisition, Rehabilitation and Resettlement Act, 2013
20. Publication of declaration and summary of Rehabilitation and Resettlement.
1. When the appropriate Government is satisfied, after considering the report, if any, made under sub-section (2) of section 16, that any particular land is needed for a public purpose, a declaration shall be made to that effect, along with a declaration of an area identified as the “resettlement area” for the purposes of rehabilitation and resettlement of the affected families, under the hand and seal of a Secretary to such Government or of any other officer duly authorised to certify its orders and different declarations may be made from time to time in respect of different parcels of any land covered by the same preliminary notification irrespective of whether one report or different reports has or have been made (wherever required).
2. The Collector shall publish a summary of the Rehabilitation and Resettlement Scheme along with draft declaration referred to in sub-section (1):
Provided that no declaration under this sub-section shall be made unless the summary of the Rehabilitation and Resettlement Scheme is published along with such declaration:
Provided further that no declaration under this sub-section shall be made unless the Requiring Body deposits an amount, in full or part, as may be prescribed by the appropriate Government toward the cost of acquisition of the land:
Provided also that the Requiring Body shall deposit the amount promptly so as to enable the appropriate Government to publish the declaration within a period of twelve months from the date of the publication of preliminary notification under section 11.
3. In projects where land is acquired in stages, the application for acquisition itself can specify different stages for the rehabilitation and resettlement, and all declarations shall be made according to the stages so specified.
4. Every declaration referred to in sub-section (1) shall be published in the following manner, namely:-
a. in the Official Gazette;
b. in two daily newspapers being circulated in the locality, of such area of which one shall be in the regional language;
c. in the local language in the Panchayat, Municipality or Municipal Corporation, as the case may be, and in the offices of the District Collector, the Sub-Divisional Magistrate and the Tehsil;
d. uploaded on the website of the appropriate Government;
e. in the affected areas, in such manner as may be prescribed.
5. Every declaration referred to in sub-section (1) shall indicate,-
a. the district or other territorial division in which the land is situated
b. the purpose for which it is needed, its approximate area; and
c. where a plan shall have been made for the land, the place at which such plan may be inspected without any cost.
6. The declaration referred to in sub-section (1) shall be conclusive evidence that the land is required for a public purpose and, after making such declaration, the appropriate Government may acquire the land in such manner as specified under this Act.
7. Where no declaration is made under sub-section (1) within twelve months from the date of preliminary notification, then such notification shall be deemed to have been rescinded:
Provided that in computing the period referred to in this sub-section, any period or periods during which the proceedings for the acquisition of the land were held up on account of any stay or injunction by the order of any Court shall be excluded:
Provided further that the appropriate Government shall have the power to extend the period of twelve months, if in its opinion circumstances exist justifying the same:
Provided also that any such decision to extend the period shall be recorded in writing and the same shall be notified and be uploaded on the website of the authority concerned.