Right of Children to Free and Compulsory Education Act, 2009
(See sections 19 and 25)
Norms and Standards for a School
1. Number of teachers:
a. For first class to fifth class Admitted children Number of teachers Up to Sixty Two Between sixty-one to ninety Three Between Ninety-one to one hundred and twenty Four Between One hundred and twenty-one to two hundred Five Above One hundred and fifty Children Five plus one Head-teacher Above Two hundred children Pupil-Teacher Ratio (excluding Head-teacher) shall not exceed forty.
b. For sixth class to eighth class (1) At least one teacher per class so that there shall be at least one teacher each for-
i. Science and Mathematics;
ii. Social Studies;
2. At least one teacher for every thirty-five children.
3. Where admission of children is above one hundred-
i. a full time head-teacher;
part time instructors for-
A. Art Education;
B. Health and Physical Education;
C. Work Education.
2. Building All-weather building consisting of-
i. at least one class-room for every teacher and an office-cum-store-cum-Head teacher's room;
iii. separate toilets for boys and girls;
iv. safe and adequate drinking water facility to all children;
v. a kitchen where mid-day meal is cooked in the school;
vii. arrangements for securing the school building by boundary wall or fencing.
3. Minimum number of working days/instructional hours in an academic year
i. two hundred working days for first class to fifth class;
two hundred and twenty working days for sixth class to eighth class;
iii. eight hundred instructional hours per academic year for first class to fifth class;
iv. one thousand instructional hours per academic year for sixth class to eighth class.
4. Minimum number of working hours per week for the teacher forty-five teaching including preparation hours.
5. Teaching learning equipment Shall be provided to each class as required.
6. Library There shall be a library in each school providing newspaper, magazines and books on all subjects, including story-books.
7. Play material, games and sports equipment Shall be provided to each class as required