3[(1) A candidate shall not be deemed to be duly nominated for election from a constituency unless he deposits or causes to be deposited,-
(a) in the case of an election from a Parliamentary constituency, 4[a sum of twenty-five thousand rupees or where the candidate is a member of a Scheduled Caste or Scheduled Tribe, a sum of twelve thousand five hundred rupees]; and
(b) in the case of an election from an Assembly or Council constituency, 5[a sum of ten thousand rupees or where the candidate is a member of a Scheduled Caste or Scheduled Tribe, a sum of five thousand rupees]:
Provided that where a candidate has been nominated by more than one nomination paper for election in the same constituency, not more than one deposit shall be required of him under this sub-section.]
(2) Any sum required to be deposited under sub-section (1) shall not be deemed to have been deposited under that sub-section unless at the time of delivery of the nomination paper 1[under sub-section (1) or, as the case may be, sub-section (1A) of section 33] the candidate has either deposited or caused to be deposited that sum with the returning officer in cash or enclosed with the nomination paper a receipt showing that the said sum has been deposited by him or on his behalf in the Reserve Bank of India or in a Government Treasury.
1. Ins. by Act 72 of 2002, s. 2 (w.e.f. 24-8-2002).
2. Ins. by s. 3, ibid. (w.e.f. 24-8-2002).
3. Subs. by Act 21 of 1996, s. 7, for sub-section (1) (w.e.f. 1-8-1996).
4. Subs. by Act 41 of 2009, s. 5, for certain words (w.e.f. 1-2-2010).
5. Subs. by s. 5, ibid., for certain words (w.e.f. 1-2-2010).