29. Special provisions in the case of certain elections.-
(1) The returning officer for an election 6*** to fill a seat or seats in the Council of States or for an election by the members of the Legislative Assembly of a State to fill a seat or seats in the Legislative Council of the State shall, with the previous approval of the Election Commission, fix the place at which the poll will be taken for such election and shall notify the place so fixed in such manner as the Election Commission may direct.
(2) The returning officer shall preside over such election at the place so fixed and shall appoint such polling officer or officers to assist him as he thinks necessary but he shall not appoint any person who has been employed by or on behalf of, or has been otherwise working for, a candidate in or about the election.
1. Subs. by Act 47 of 1966, s. 25, for section 25 (w.e.f. 14-12-1966).
2. Subs. by s. 26, ibid., for "returning officer" (w.e.f. 14-12-1966). 3. Ins. by Act 27 of 1956, s. 12 (w.e.f. 28-8-1956).
4. Sub-section (5) omitted by Act 2 of 2004, s. 3 (w.e.f. 29-10-2003). 5. Ins. by Act 1 of 1989, s. 5 (w.e.f. 15-3-1989).
6. The brackets and words "(other than a primary election)" omitted by Act 27 of 1956, s. 13 (w.e.f. 28-8-1956).