8[135B. Grant of paid holiday to employees on the day of poll.-
(1) Every person employed in any any business, trade, industrial undertaking or any other establishment and entitled to vote at an election to the House of the People or the Legislative Assembly of a State shall, on the day of poll, be granted a holiday.
(2) No deduction or abatement of the wages of any such person shall be made on account of a holiday having been granted in accordance with sub-section (1) and if such person is employed on the basis that he would not ordinarily receive wages for such a day, he shall nonetheless be paid for such day the wages he would have drawn had not a holiday been granted to him on that day.
(3) If an employer contravenes the provisions of sub-section (1) or sub-section (2), then such employer shall be punishable with fine which may extend to five hundred rupees.
(4) This section shall not apply to any elector whose absence may cause danger or substantial loss in respect of the employment in which he is engaged.
1. Subs. by Act 21 of 1996, s. 14, for "fraudulently" (w.e.f. 1-8-1996). 2. Ins. by Act 1 of 1989, s. 15 (w.e.f. 15-3-1989).
3. Section 135A renumbered as sub-section (1) thereof by Act 21 of 1996, s. 15 (w.e.f. 1-8-1996).
4. Subs. by s. 15, ibid., for certain words (w.e.f. 1-8-1996).
5. Subs. by s. 15, ibid., for "this section" (w.e.f. 1-8-1996).
6. Subs. by s. 15, ibid., for "threatening" (w.e.f. 1-8-1996). 7. Ins. by s. 15, ibid. (w.e.f. 1-8-1996).
8. Ins. by s. 16, ibid. (w.e.f. 1-8-1996).