129. Officers, etc., at elections not to act for candidates or to influence voting.-
(1) No person who is 3[a district election officer or a returning officer], or an assistant returning officer, or a presiding or polling officer at an election, or an officer or clerk appointed by the returning officer for the presiding officer to perform any duty in connection with an election shall in the conduct or the management of the election do any act (other than the giving of vote) for the furtherance of the prospects of the election of a candidate.
(2) No such person as aforesaid, and no member of a police force, shall endeavour-
(a) to persuade any person to give his vote at an election, or
(b) to dissuade any person from giving his vote at an election, or
(c) to influence the voting of any person at an election in any manner.
(3) Any person who contravenes the provisions of sub-section (1) or sub-section (2) shall be punishable with imprisonment which may extend to six months or with fine or with both.
1[(4) An offence punishable under sub-section (3) shall be cognizable.]
1. Ins. by Act 40 of 1961, s. 26 (w.e.f. 20-9-1961).
2. Ins. by Act 40 of 2003, s. 5 (w.e.f. 11-9-2003).
3. Subs. by Act 47 of 1966, s. 55, for "a returning officer" (w.e.f. 14-12-1966).