17. Programme Advisory Committee.-
(1) The Programme Advisory Committee shall be the principal academic body of the Regional Centre and shall, subject to the provisions of this Act, advice planning, execution, review and monitoring of the scientific and academic programmes of the Regional Centre.
(2) The Programme Advisory Committee shall consist of the following members, namely:-
(a) a Chairperson of the Programme Advisory Committee to be nominated by the Board;
(b) two members to be nominated by the UNESCO;
(c) three members to be nominated by rotation, from amongst the member States of UNESCO which provide maximum financial assistance;
(d) two members having expertise and experience in biotechnology policy and legal matters to be nominated by the Central Government;
(e) six members from amongst the persons being renowned scientist or academician, to be nominated by the Board.
(3) The Executive Director shall be the Member-Secretary, ex officio, to the Programme Advisory Committee.
(4) The Programme Advisory Committee shall be responsible for-
(a) making recommendations on matters of planning and coordinating of the education, training and research activities;
(b) recommending modifications or revision of education, training and research programmes of the Regional Centre and submitting reports thereon;
(c) reviewing annually the programmes of the Regional Centre, evaluating its progress and submitting the reports thereon;
(d) publishing reports on any matter concerning scientific and technical issues referred to it by the Board or by the Executive Director;
(e) performing all such duties and to do all such acts as may be necessary for furtherance of education, training and research under this Act;
(f) framing the Ordinances; and
(g) performing such other functions as may be specified by the Statutes.
(5) The fees and allowances payable to members of the Programme Advisory Committee and their term of office shall be such as may be specified by the Statutes.
(6) Subject to the provisions of this Act and the Statutes and Ordinances made thereunder, the Programme Advisory Committee may regulate its own procedure (including quorum) for the conduct of meetings and transacting of its business: Provided that the Programme Advisory Committee shall place the minutes of its meetings before the Board of Governors.