4[(1)] In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires,
(a) "Force" means the Railway Protection Force constituted under section 3;
5[(b) "Director-General" means the Director-General of the Force appointed under sub-section(1) of section 4;
(ba) "enrolled member of the Force" means any subordinate officer, under officer or any other member of the Force of a rank lower than that of under officer;
(bb) "Force custody" means the arrest or confinement of a member of the Force in accordance with rules made under this Act;]
(c) "member of the Force" means a person appointed to the Force under this Act 6* * *;
7[(ca) "passenger" shall have the meaning assigned to it in the Railways Act, 1989 (24 of 1989);
(cb) "passenger area" shall include railway platform, train, yard and such other area as is frequently visited by passengers;]
(d) "prescribed" mean prescribed by rules made under this Act;
(e) "railway property" includes any goods, money or valuable security, or animal, belonging to, or in the charge or possession of, a railway administration;
8[(ea) "subordinate officer" means a person appointed to the Force as an Inspector,Sub-Inspector or an Assistant Sub-Inspector;]
1. Subs. by Act 60 of 1985, s. 2, for the long title (w.e.f. 20-9-1985).
2. Subs. by Act 52 of 2003, s. 2, for "railway property" (w.e.f. 1-7-2004).
3. 10th September 1959, vide notification No. 58-security/16/9, dated 10-9-1959, see Gazette of India,
Extraordinary, Part II, s. 1. Extended to Goa, Daman and Diu with modifications, by Reg. 12 of 1962, s. 3 and Schedule. The Act comes into force in Pondicherry on 1-10-1963, s. 3 and Schedule I.
Extended to and brought into force in Dadra and Nagar Haveli (w.e.f. 1-7-1965) by Reg. 6 of 1963, s. 2 and Schedule I.
4. Section 2 renumbered as sub-section (1) thereof by Act 60 of 1985, s. 3 (w.e.f. 20-9-1985).
5. Subs. by s. 3, ibid., for clause (b) (w.e.f. 20-9-85).
6. The words "other than a superior officer" omitted by s. 3, ibid. (w.e.f. 20-9-1985).
7. Ins. by Act 52 of 2003, s. 3 (w.e.f. 1-7-2004).
8. Ins. by Act 60 of 1985, s. 3(w.e.f. 20-9-1985).
(f) "superior officer" means any of the officers appointed under section 4 and includes any other officer appointed by the Central Government as a superior officer of the Force;
1[(fa) "under officer" means a person appointed to the Force as a Head Constable or Naik;]
(g) words and expressions used but not defined in this Act and defined in the Indian Railways Act, 1890 (9 of 1890), shall have the meanings respectively assigned to them under that Act.
1[(2) Any reference in this act to a law which is not in force in any area shall in relation to that area, be construed as a reference to the corresponding law, if any, in force in that area.]