9. Power to summon persons to give evidence and produce documents.-
(1) An officer of the Force shall have power to summon any person whose attendance he considers necessary either to give evidence or to produce a document, or any other thing in any inquiry which such officer in making for any of the purposes of this Act.
(2) A summons to produce documents or other things may be for the production of certain specified documents or things or for the production of all documents or things of a certain description in the possession or under the control of the person summoned.
(3) All persons, so summoned, shall be bound to attend either in person or by an authorised agent as such officer may direct; and all persons so summoned shall be bound to state the truth upon any subject respecting which they are examined or make statements and to produce such documents and other things as may be required:
Provided that the exemptions under sections 132 and 133 of the Code of Civil Procedure, 1908 (5 of 1908), shall be applicable to requisitions for attendance under this section.
(4) Every such inquiry as aforesaid, shall be deemed to be a "judicial proceeding" within the meaning of sections 193 and 228 of the Indian Penal Code (45 of 1860).
1. Subs. by Act 25 of 2012, s. 3, for the marginal heading (w.e.f. 15-8-2012).
2. Subs. by s. 3, ibid., for "Any owner" (w.e.f. 15-8-2012).
3. Explanation ins. by s. 3, ibid. (w.e.f. 15-8-2012).
4. Subs. by s. 4, ibid., for the marginal heading (w.e.f. 15-8-2012).
5. Subs. by s. 4, ibid., for "When any person is arrested" (w.e.f. 15-8-2012).