The Punjab District Boards Act, 1883
39. Annual estimates of income and expenditure of district boards.-
(1) Every district board shall appoint a finance committee consisting of not less than three of its members.
(2) Every district board shall, on or before a boards prescribed day in each year, hold a meeting at which the finance committee shall submit to the board an estimate of the income and expenditure of the board for the next financial year, in such form as the Local Government may, by a rule made under this Act, prescribe.
(3) The board shall consider the estimate, and may provisionally approve of it .with or without modification.
(4) The board shall, on or before a prescribed day, cause copies of the estimate, as provisionally approved by it, to be sent to the Deputy Commissioner.
(5) The Deputy Commissioner shall, on or before a, prescribed day, signify in writing to the board his approval or disapproval of the estimate. When he disapproves of the estimate, he shall state the nature of The board shall then consider the matter, and either modify the estimate, so as to remove the objection, or refer it through the Deputy Commissioner to the Commissioner of the division. If the Commissioner concurs in the objection, he shall make such modification in the estimate as may, in his judgment, be necessary to remove the objection in whole or in part. If he does not concur in the objection, he shall pass the estimate, and his order shall be final and binding on the board.
(6) When the Deputy Commissioner has signified his approval of an estimate, or the board has modified an estimate so as to remove the Deputy Commissioner's objections, or when the Commissioner has passed orders as provided in sub-section (5), no expenditure which is not provided for in the estimate as approved or modified shall be incurred during the year to which the estimate relates without the previous sanction of the Deputy Commissioner.
(7) When the Deputy Commissioner is a member of the district board, the Commissioner and the Local Government shall take the place of the Deputy Commissioner and the Commissioner respectively for the purposes of this section.