The Punjab District Boards Act, 1883
In this Act, unless there is something repugnant in the subject or context,-
(1) "Land" means land assessed to the land-revenue, and includes land whereof the land-revenue has been wholly, or in part, released, compounded for, redeemed or assigned.
(2) "Land-revenue" includes trini or grazing-dues levied for grazing on Government lands under section 48 of the Panjab Laws Act, 1872 (IV of 1872).
(3) "Landholder" means any person responsible for the payment of the land-revenue, if any, assessed on land. It also includes the proprietor of land the land-revenue of which has been wholly, or in part, released, compounded for, redeemed or assigned.
(4) "Annual value" means-
(a) double the land-revenue for the time being assessed on any land, whether the assessment is leviable or not ; or
(b) where the land-revenue has been permanently assessed, or has been wholly or in part compounded for or redeemed, double the amount which, but for such permanent assessment, composition or redemption, would have been leviable; or
(c) where no land-revenue has been assessed, double the amount which would have been assessed if the average village-rate had been applied:
Provided that, in any tract in which, under the settlement for the time being in force, the improvement of the land due to canal irrigation has been excluded from account in assessing the land-revenue, and a rate has been imposed in respect of such improvement, that rate shall be added to the land-revenue for the purpose of computing the annual value.
(5) "Financial year" means the year commencing on the first day of April.
(6) "Prescribed day "means such day as the Local Government may, from time to time, prescribe.
1[(6A) "Punjab" means the territories which, immediately before the Ist November, 1956, were comprised in the State with the same name];
(7) "Notification "means a notification published in the official Gazette.
(8) "Notified" means notified in the official Gazette.
(9) "Deputy Commissioner" means the Deputy Commissioner of a district, and includes any officer specially appointed by the Local Government to per form the functions of a Deputy Commissioner under this Act.
1. Ins. by the Adaptation of Laws (No. 2) Order, 1956.