In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires,-
5[(a) "civil rights" means any right accruing to a person by reason of the abolition of "untouchability" by article 17 of the Constitution;]
6[(aa)] "hotel" includes a refreshment room, a boarding house, a lodging house, a coffee house and a cafe;
7[(b) "place" includes a house, building and other structure and premises; and also includes a tent, vehicle and vessel;]
(c) "place of public entertainment" includes any place to which the public are admitted and in which an entertainment is provided or field.
Explanation.-"Entertainment" includes any exhibition performance, game, sport and any other form of amusement;
(d) "place of public worship" means a place, by whatever name known, which is used as a place of public religious worship or which is dedicated generally to, or is used generally by persons professing any religion or belonging to any religious denomination or any section thereof, for the performance of any religious service, or for offering prayers therein, 8[and includes-
(i) all lands and subsidiary shrines appurtenant or attached to any such place;
(ii) a privately owned place of worship which is, in fact, allowed by the owner thereof to be used as a place of public worship; and
(iii) such land or subsidiary shrine appurtenant to such privately owned place of worship as is allowed by the owner thereof to be used as a place of public religious worship;]
1[(da) "prescribed" means prescribed by rules made under this Act;
(db) "Scheduled Castes" has the meaning assigned to it in clause (24) of article 366 of the Constitution;]
(e) "shop" means any premises where goods are sold either wholesale or by retail or both wholesale and by retail 2[and includes-
(i) any place from where goods are sold by a hawker or vendor or from a mobile van or cart;
(ii) a laundry and a hair cutting saloon;
(iii) any other place where services are rendered to customers].
1. Extended to Goa, Daman and Diu with modification by Reg. 12 of 1962, s. 3 and Schedule; to Dadra and Nagar Haveli by Reg. 6 of 1963, s. 2 and Schedule I (w.e.f. 1st July, 1965) and to Pondicherry by Reg. 7 of 1963, s. 3 and Schedule I (w.e.f. 1st October, 1963).
2. Subs. by Act 106 of 1976, s. 2, for "practice of Untouchability" (w.e.f. 19-11-1976).
3. Subs. by s. 3, ibid., for "the Untouchability (Offences) Act" (w.e.f. 19-11-1976).
4. 1st June, 1955, vide notification No. S.R.O. 1109(E), dated the 23rd May, 1955, see Gazette of India, 1955, Extraordinary Part II, s. 3.
5. Ins. by Act 106 of 1976, s. 4 (w.e.f. 19-11-1976).
6. Clause (a) relettered as clause (aa) by s. 4, ibid. (w.e.f. 19-11-1976).
7. Subs. by s. 4, ibid., for clause (b) (w.e.f. 19-11-1976).
8. Subs. by s. 4, ibid., for certain words (w.e.f. 19-11-1976).