20. Appointment of inspectors and their powers.
(1) The appropriate Government may, by notification, appoint such persons as it thinks fit to be inspectors for the purposes of this Act, and define the local limits within which they shall exercise their powers under this Act.
(2) Subject to any rules made in this behalf, an inspector may, within the local limits of his jurisdiction, enter, at all reasonable times, with such assistance as he considers necessary, any premises or place for the purpose of,
(a) examining and testing any latrine, open drain or pit or for conducting an inspection of any premises or place, where he has reason to believe that an offence under this Act has been or is being or is about to be committed, and to prevent employment of any person as manual scavenger;
(b) examine any person whom he finds in such premises or place and who, he has reasonable cause to believe, is employed as a manual scavenger therein, or is otherwise in a position to furnish information about compliance or non-compliance with the provisions of this Act and the rules made thereunder;
(c) require any person whom he finds on such premises, to give information which is in his power to give, with respect to the names and addresses of persons employed on such premises as manual scavenger and of the persons or agency or contractor employing or engaging them;
(d) seize or take copies of such registers, record of wages or notices or portions thereof as he may consider relevant in respect of an offence under this Act which he has reason to believe has been committed by the principal employer or agency; and
(e) exercise such other powers as may be prescribed.
(3) Any person required to produce any document or thing or to give any information required by an inspector under sub-section (2) shall be deemed to be legally bound to do so within the meaning of section 175 and section 176 of the Indian Penal Code (45 of 1860).
(4) The provisions of the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973 (2 of 1974), shall, so far as may be, apply to any such search or seizure under sub-section (2) as they apply to such search or seizure made under the authority of a warrant issued under section 94 of the said Code.