1. Short title, extent and commencement.-
(1) This Act may be called the Prize Competitions Act, 1955.
(2) It extends to 2[the territories which, immediately before the 1st November, 1956, were comprised in] the States of Andhra, Bombay, Madras, Orissa, Uttar Pradesh, Hyderabad, Madhya Bharat, Patiala and East Punjab States Union and Saurashtra and all Part C States.
(3) It shall come into force on such date3 as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint.
1. Extended to and brought into force in Dadar and Nagar Haveli (w.e.f. 1.7.65) by Reg. 6 of 1963, s. 2 & Sch. I. Extended to Goa, Daman and Diu by Reg. 11 of 1963, s. 3 & sch. Extended to the Union territory of Pondicherry by Act 26 of 1968, s.3 and Schedule. 2. 1st April, 1956, vide Notification No. S.R. O. 766, dated 31st March, 1956, Gazette of India, Extraordinary, Part II, sec. 3,
2. Ins. by A. O. (No. 3), 1956.
3. 1st April, 1956, vide Notification No. S.R.O. 766, dated 31st March, 1956, Gazette of India, Extraordinary, Part II, sec. 3.