54. Offences by prison-subordinates.
(1) Every Jailor or officer of a prison subordinate to him who shall be guilty of any violation of duty or wilful breach or neglect of any rule or regulation or lawful order made by competent authority, or who shall withdraw from the duties of his office without permission, or without having given previous notice in writing of his intention for the period of two months, or who shall wilfully overstay any leave granted to him, or who shall engage without authority in any employment other than his prison-duty, or who shall be guilty of cowardice, shall be liable, on conviction before a Magistrate, to fine not exceeding two hundred rupees, or to imprisonment for a period not exceeding three months, or to both.
(2) No person shall under this section be punished twice for the same offence.
1. Ins. by Act 13 of 1910, s. 2.
2. Subs. by s. 2, ibid., for the proviso.