Prevention of Food Adulteration Act, 1954
4. Central Food Laboratory. -
1[(1) The Central Government shall, by notification in the Official Gazette, establish one or more Central Food Laboratory or Laboratories to carry out the functions entrusted to the Central Food Laboratory by this Act or any rules made under this Act:
Provided that the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, also specify any laboratory or institute as a Central Food Laboratory for the purposes of this Act.]
(2) The Central Government may, after consultation with the Committee, make rules prescribing-
2 [(a) The functions of Central Food Laboratory and the local area or areas within which such functions may be carried out;]
(b) The procedure for the submission to the said Laboratory of samples of articles of food for analysis or tests, the forms of the Laboratory's reports thereon and. the fees payable in respect of such reports;
(c) Such other matters as may be necessary or expedient to enable the said Laboratory to carry out its functions.
West Bengal. -To sub-section (1) of Sec. 4. The following proviso shall be added, namely:
"Provided that the State Government may with the prior approval of the Central Government, direct that the functions of the Central Food Laboratory and the Director may be carried out in West Bengal by such authority and such officer respectively, as may be specified the State Government by notification in the Official Gazette and any reference in this Act to the Central Food Laboratory or the Director shall then be construed to mean such authority or officer, as the case may be", 3
1. Subs. by Sec. 5. Ibid. For sub-section (1) (w.e.f. Ist April 1976).
2. Subs by Act 34 of 1976. Sec. 5, for, Cl. (a).
3. Vide West Bengal Act. 42 of 1973. Published in the Calcutta Gazette, Pt. III. No. 264. dated 29th April, 1974 (w.e.f. 29th April, 1974).