The Prevention and Control of Infectious and Contagious Diseases in Animals Act, 2009
6. Notification of controlled areas and free areas. –
1. The State Government may, with the object of preventing, controlling or eradicating any scheduled disease, by notification, declare any area to be a controlled area in respect of any scheduled disease affecting any species of animal and any other species that may be susceptible to the disease specified in the said notification.
2. The State Government shall also cause the substance of the notification issued under sub-section (1) to be published in a local newspaper in the vernacular language and by declaration in loud voice and by beating drums in the area.
3. Where a notification has been issued under sub-section (1), all animals of the species in the controlled area shall be subjected to compulsory vaccination against that disease, and be subjected to such other measures against the disease, in such manner and within such time as the State Government, may, by public notice, direct.
4. The State Government shall make available necessary vaccine and it shall be obligatory on the part of every owner, or the person in charge of an animal which is required to be vaccinated under sub-section (3), to get the animal compulsorily vaccinated.
5. Where the State Government is satisfied, on a report received from the Director or otherwise, that, in any controlled area, any of the scheduled diseases affecting any species of animal is no longer prevalent, it may, by notification, declare the area to be a free area in respect of that disease in relation to the particular species of animal.
6. Where a notification has been issued under sub-section (5), no animal of the species or of any other susceptible species with regard to which it is a free area shall be allowed to enter the free area unless duly immunized by vaccination against that particular disease.