Press Council Act, 1978
6.Term of office and retirement of members.-
(1) Save as otherwise provided in this section, the chairman and other members shall hold office for a period of three years:
Provided that the chairman shall continue to hold such office until the council is reconstituted in accordance with the provisions of section 5 for a period of six months whichever is earlier.
(2) where a person nominated as a member under clause (a) clause (b) or clause (c) of sub-section (3) of section 5 if censured under the provisions of sub-section (1) of section 14, he shall cease to be a member of the council.
(3) The term of office of a member nominated under clause (e) of sub-section (3) of section 5 shall come to an end as soon as he ceases to be a member of the House from which he was nominated.
(4) a member shall be deemed to have vacated his seat if he is absent without excuse, sufficient in the opinion of the council, from three consecutive meetings of the Council.
(5) the chairman may resign his office by giving notice in writing to the ?Central government and any other member may resign his office by giving notice in writing to the chairman and upon such resignation being accepted by the Central government., or as the case may be, the chairman, the chairman or the member shall be deemed to have vacated his office.
(6) Any vacancy arising under sub-section (2) sub-section (3) sub-section (4) or sub-section (5) or otherwise shall be filled, as soon as may be, nomination in the same manner in which the member vacating office was nominated and the member no nominated so nominated shall hold office for the remaining period in which the member in whose place he is nominated would have held office.
(7) A retiring member shall be eligible for re-nomination for not more than one term.