3[15A. Awarding compensation to sufferers from misconduct of inhabitants or persons interested in land.
(1) If, in any area in regard to which any proclamation notified under the last preceding section is in force, death or grievous hurt or loss of, or damage to, property has been caused by or has ensued from the misconduct of the inhabitants of such area or any class or section of them it shall be lawful for any person, being an inhabitant of such area, who claims to have suffered injury from such misconduct to make, within one month from the date of the injury or such
shorter period as may be prescribed, an application for compensation to the Magistrate of the district or of the sub-division of a district within which such area is situated.
(2) It shall thereupon be lawful for the Magistrate of the district, with the sanction of the 1[State Government] after such enquiry as he may deem necessary, and whether any additional police-forcehas or has not been quartered in such area under the last preceding section, to
(a) declare the persons to whom injury has been caused by or has ensued from such misconduct;
(b) fix the amount of compensation to be paid to such persons and the manner in which it is to be distributed among them; and
(c) assess the proportion in which the same shall be paid by the inhabitants of such area other than the applicant who shall not have been exempted from liability to pay under the next succeeding sub-section:
Provided that the Magistrate shall not make any declaration or assessment under this sub-section,unless he is of opinion that such injury as aforesaid has arisen from a riot or unlawful assembly within such area, and that the person who suffered the injury was himself free from blame in respect of the occurrences which led to such injury.
(3) It shall be lawful for the 1[State Government], by order, to exempt any persons or class or section of such inhabitants from liability to pay any portion of such compensation.
(4) Every declaration or assessment made or order passed by the Magistrate of the district undersub-section (2) shall be subject to revision by the Commissioner of the Division or the 1[State Government], but save as aforesaid shall be final.
(5) No civil suit shall be maintainable in respect of any injury for which compensation has been awarded under this section.
In this section the word "inhabitants" shall have the same meaning as in the last preceding section.]
1. Subs. by the A.O. 1950, for "Provincial Government" which had been subs. by the A.O. 1937, for "L.G.".
2. Subs. by Act 8 of 1895, s. 4, for the section 15.
3. Ins. by s. 5, ibid.