The Central Reserve Police Force Act, 1949
11. Minor punishments.
- The Commandant or any other authority or officer as may be prescribed, may, subject to any rules made under this Act, award in lieu of, or in addition to, suspension or dismissal any one or more of the following punishments to any member of the Force whom he considers to be guilty of disobedience, neglect of duty, or remissness in the discharge of any duty or of other misconduct in his capacity as a member of the Force, that is to say,-
- reduction in rank;
- fine of any amount not exceeding one months pay and allowances ;
- confinement to quarters, lines or camp for a term not exceeding one month;
- confinement in the quarter-guard for not more than twentyeight days, with or without punishment drill or extra guard, fatigue or other duty ; and
- removal from any office of distinction or special emolument in the Force.
- Any punishment specified in clause (c) or clause (d) of sub-section (1) may be awarded by any gazetted officer when in command of any detachment of the Force away from headquarters, provided he is specially authorised in this behalf by the Commandant.
- The assistant commandant, a company officer or a subordinate officer, not being below the rank of subedar or inspector, commanding a separate detachment or an outpost, or in temporary command at the headquarters of the Force, may, without a formal trial, award to any member of the Force who is for the time being subject to his authority any one or more of the following punishments for the commission of any petty offence against discipline which is not otherwise provided for in this Act, or which is not of a sufficiently serious nature to require prosecution before a criminal Court, that is to say,-
- confinement for not more than seven days in the quarter guard or such other place as may be considered suitable, with forfeiture of all pay and allowances during its continuance ;
- punishment drill, or extra guard, fatigue or other duty, for not more than thirty days, with or without confinement to quarters, lines or camp ;
- censure or severe censure : provided that this punishment may be awarded to a subordinate officer only by the Commandant.
- A jemadar or sub-inspector who is temporarily in command of a detachment or an outpost may, in like manner and for the commission of any like offence, award to any member of the Force for the time being subject to his authority any of the punishments specified in clause (b) of sub-section (3) for not more than fifteen days.