The Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority Act, 2013
44. Power of Central Government to supersede Authority.
1. If at any time the Central Government is of the opinion that-
a. on account of circumstances beyond the control of the Authority, it is unable to discharge the functions or perform the duties imposed on it by or under the provisions of this Act; or
b. the Authority has persistently defaulted in complying with any direction issued by the Central Government that the Central Government is entitled to issue under this Act or in the discharge of the functions or performance of the duties imposed on it by or under the provisions of this Act and as a result of such default the financial position of the Authority or the administration of the Authority has deteriorated; or
c. circumstances exist which render it necessary in the public interest so to do, the Central Government may, by notification and for reasons to be specified therein, supersede the Authority for such period, not exceeding six months, as may be specified in the notification:
Provided that before issuing any such notification, the Central Government shall give a reasonable opportunity to the Authority to make representations against the proposed supersession and shall consider the representations, if any, of the Authority.
2. Upon the publication of a notification under sub-section (1 ) superseding the Authority,-
a. the Chairperson and other members shall, as from the date of supersession, vacate their offices as such;
b. all the powers, functions and duties which may, by or under the provisions of this Act, be exercised or discharged by or on behalf of the Authority shall, until the Authority is reconstituted under sub-section (3 ), be exercised and discharged by the Central Government; and
c. all properties owned or controlled by the Authority shall, until the Authority is reconstituted under sub-section (3 ), vest in the Central Government.
3. On or before the expiration of the period of supersession specified in the notification issued under sub-section (1 ), the Central Government shall reconstitute the Authority.
4. The Central Government shall, as soon as may be, cause a copy of the notification issued under sub-section (1 ) and a full report of any action taken by it, to be laid before each House of Parliament.