2. Power to extend Act 5 of 1857.
The 2 [Central Government] may, by notification in the Official Gazette, extend the said Act No. V of 1857, to any place 3 [in 4 [the territories which, immediately before the 1st November, 1956, were comprised in Part A States and Part C states] ] other than Calcutta and its environs: Provided that, in every place to which the said Act shall be so extended, section 3 of the same Act shall be read as if for the words 'Town of Calcutta', the name of the place to which the said act shall be so extended were substituted: section 7 of the same Act shall be read as if for the words and figures 'Act XIV of 1856', the following words were substituted; (that is to say) 'any law for the time being in force to provide for the conservancy and improvement of such place:' Section 22 of the said Act shall be read, as if after the words 'Joint Stock Companies' Act, 1856' the followings words were inserted; (that is to say) 'the Indian Companies' Act, 1866, or any other Statute or Act for the time being in force relating to Joint Stock Companies' ; and as if for the expression 'Supreme Court of Judicature at Fort William', the name of the highest Civil Court of appeal in such place were substituted; and as if for the expression 'the territories of the East India Company', the expression the States 5 *** were substituted.
1. Subs. by the A.O. 1948, for "British India".
2. Subs. by the A.O. 1937, for "L.G.".
3. Subs. by the A.O. 1950, for "in the Provinces" which has been subs. by the A.O. 1937, for "within the territories subject to such Govt."
4. Subs. by the Adaptation of Laws (No. 2) Order, 1956, for "the States".
5. The words "as defined in this Act" omitted by the A.O. 1948.