70. Offences under Act.-
Whoever, without proper authority and voluntarily, does any of the acts following, that is to say:-
(1) damages, alters, enlarges or obstructs any canal or drainage-work;
(2) interferes with, increases or diminishes the supply of water in, or the flow of water from, through, over or under, any canal or drainage-work;
(3) interferes with or alters the flow of water in any river or stream, so as to endanger, damage or render less useful any canal or drainage-work;
(4) being responsible for the maintenance of a water-course, or using a water-course, neglects to take proper precautions for the prevention ofwaste of the water thereof, or interferes with the authorised distribution of the water therefrom, or uses such water in an unauthorised manner;
(5) corrupts or fouls the water of any canal so as to render it less fit for the purposes for which it is ordinarily used;
(6) causes any vessel to enter or navigate any canal contrary to the rules for the time being prescribed by the State Government for entering or navigating such canal;
(7) while navigating on any canal, neglects to take proper precautions for the safety of the canal and of vessels thereon;
(8) being liable to furnish labourers under Part VIII of this Act, fails without reaso - nable cause, to supply or to assist in supplying the labourers required of him;
(9) being a labourer liable to supply his labour under Part VIII of this Act, neglects, without reasonable cause, so to supply, and to continue to supply, his labour;
(10) destroys or moves any level-mark or water-gauge fixed by the authority of a public servant;
(11) passes, or causes animals or vehicles to pass, on or across any of the works, banks or channels of a canal or drainage-work contrary to rules made under this Act, after he has been desired to desist therefrom;
(12) violates any rule made under this Act, for breach whereof a penalty may be incurred.
Shall be liable, on conviction before a Magistrate of such class as the State Government directs in this behalf, to a fine not exceeding fifty rupees, or to imprisonment not exceeding one month, or to both.
1. See now the Code of Civil Procedure, 1908 (Act 5 of 1908).