53. Provisions as to certain Corporations.-
(1) The following bodies corporate constituted for the existing State of Assam, namely:-
(a) the State Electricity Board constituted under the Electricity (Supply) Act, 1948 (54 of 1948); and
(b) the State Warehousing Corporation established under the Warehousing Corporations Act, 1962 (58 of 1962),
shall, on and from the appointed day, continue to function in those areas in respect of which they were functioning immediately before that day, subject to the provisions of this section and to such directions as may, from time to time, be issued by the Central Government.
(2) Any directions issued by the Central Government under sub-section (1) in respect of the Board or the Corporation may include a direction that the Act under which the Board or the Corporation was constituted shall, in its application to that Board or Corporation, have effect subject to such exceptions and modifications as the Central Government thinks fit. 23
(3) The Board or the Corporation referred to in sub-section (1) shall cease to function as from, and shall be deemed to be dissolved on, the expiry of a period of 1[thirty-eight months] from the appointed day or such earlier date as the Central Government may, by order, appoint; and upon such dissolution, its assets, rights and liabilities shall be apportioned between the successor States in such manner as may be agreed upon among them within one year of the dissolution of the Board or the Corporation, as the case may be, or if no agreement is reached, in such manner as the Central Government may, by order, determine.
(4) Nothing in the preceding provisions of this section shall be construed as preventing the Government of any of the successor States from constituting at any time on or after the appointed day, a State Electricity Board or a State Warehousing Corporation for that State under the provisions of the Act relating to such Board or Corporation; and if such a Board or a Corporation is so constituted in any of the successor States before the dissolution of the Board or the Corporation referred to in sub-section (1),-
(a) provision may be made by order of the Central Government enabling the new Board or the new Corporation to take over from the existing Board or Corporation all or any of its undertakings, assets, rights and liabilities in that State, and
(b) upon the dissolution of the existing Board or Corporation,-
(i) any assets, rights and liabilities which would otherwise have passed to that State by or under the provisions of sub-section (3) shall pass to the new Board or the new Corporation instead of to that State;
(ii) any employees who would otherwise have been transferred to or re-employed by that State under sub-section (3), read with clause (i) of sub-section (5), shall be transferred to or re-employed by the new Board or the new Corporation instead of to or by that State.
(5) An agreement entered into between the successor States under sub-section (3) and an order made by the Central Government under that sub-section or under clause (a) of sub-section (4) may provide for the transfer or re-employment of any employees of the Board or the Corporation referred to in sub-section (1),-
(i) to or by the successor States, in the case of an agreement under sub-section (3) or an order made under that sub-section;
(ii) to or by the new Board or the new Corporation constituted under sub-section (4), in the case of an order made under clause (a) of that sub-section,
and, subject to the provisions of section 58, also for the terms and conditions of service applicable to such employees after such transfer or re-employment.