17. Parliamentary constituencies of the State of Meghalaya and provision as to sitting member representing the Autonomous Districts parliamentary constituency in the House of the People and the election of representative from Tura parliamentary constituency.-
(1) There shall be two parliamentary constituencies in the State of Meghalaya to be called the Shillong parliamentary constituency and the Tura parliamentary constituency.
(2) The area falling within the Garo Hills district as it exists immediately before the appointed day shall form the Tura parliamentary constituency and the remaining area in the State of Meghalaya shall form the Shillong parliamentary constituency and the said two parliamentary constituencies shall be deemed to have been delimited accordingly.
(3) The sitting member of the House of the People representing immediately before the appointed day the Autonomous Districts parliamentary constituency shall, as from that day, be deemed to have been elected under sub-clause (a) of clause (1) of article 81 to the House of the People from the Shillong parliamentary constituency.
(4) As soon as may be after the appointed day election shall be held to the House of the People to elect a representative from the Tura parliamentary constituency as if the seat of the member elected to the House of the People from that constituency has become vacant and the provisions of section 149 of the Representation of the People Act, 1951 (43 of 1951) shall, so far as may be, apply in relation to such election.