31. Term of office of, vacancies among, and allowances payable to members of Council.-
(1) The terms of office of a member shall be three years from the date of notification: Provided that the term of office of an ex officio member shall continue so long as he holds office by virtue of which he is such a member.
(2) The term of office of a member elected under clause (j) of sub-section (2) of section 30 1 shall expire as soon as he ceases to be member of the House, which elected him.
(3) The term of office of a member nominated or elected to fill a casual vacancy shall continue for the remainder of the term of the member in whose place he has been appointed.
(4) Notwithstanding anything contained in this section an outgoing member shall, unless the Central Government otherwise directs, continue in office until another person is appointed as a member in his place.
(5) The members of the Council other than ex officio member shall be paid such travelling and other allowances as may be prescribed.
1. Subs. by Act of 28 of 2012, s. 13 for "Schedule" (w. e. f 7-6-2012).
2. Ins. by Act 9 of 2014, s.7 (w.e.f. 4-3-2014).