39. Punishment for municipal officers and other employees.
(1) Every municipal officer or other municipal employee shall be liable to have his increments or promotion withheld or to be censured, reduced in rank, compulsorily retired, removed or dismissed for any breach of any departmental regulations or of discipline or for carelessness, unfitness, neglect of duty or other misconduct by such authority as may be prescribed by regulation:
Provided that no such officer or other employee as aforesaid shall be reduced in rank, compulsorily retired, removed or dismissed by an authority subordinate to that by which he was appointed:
Provided further that the Council may by regulations provide that municipal employees belonging to such classes or categories as may be specified in the regulations shall be liable also to be fined by such authority as may be specified therein.
(2) No such officer or other employee shall be punished under sub-section (1) unless he has been given a reasonable opportunity of showing cause against the action proposed to be taken in regard to him:
Provided that this sub-section shall not apply
(a) where an officer or other employee is removed or dismissed on the ground of conduct which had led to his conviction on a criminal charge; or
(b) where the authority empowered to remove or dismiss such officer or other employee is satisfied that for some reason, to be recorded by that authority, it is not reasonably practicable to give that person an opportunity of showing cause.
(3) If any question arises whether it is not reasonably practicable to give any officer or other employee an opportunity of showing cause under sub-section (2), the decision thereon of the authority empowered to remove or dismiss such officer or other employee shall be final.
(4) An officer or other employee upon whom a punishment has been inflicted under this section may appeal to such officer or authority as may be prescribed by regulations:
Provided that in the case of an officer or other employee appointed by the Chairperson, an appeal shall lie to the Administrator.