159. Laying of supply pipes, etc.
(1) An owner, lessor or occupier of any premises, who desires to have a supply of water for his domestic purposes from the municipal water works, shall comply with the following requirements, namely:
(a) he shall give to the Chairperson fourteen days' notice of his intention to lay the necessary supply pipe; and
(b) he shall lay the supply pipe at his own expense, having first obtained, as respects any land not forming part of a street, the consent of the owners or occupiers thereof:
Provided that where any part of the supply pipe is to be laid in a street, he shall not himself break open the street or lay that part of the pipe.
(2) Upon the receipt of such a notice as is referred to in sub-section (1), the Chairperson shall lay the necessary communication pipe and any part of the supply pipe which is to be laid in street shall connect the communication pipe with the supply pipe.
(3) The expenses, reasonably incurred by the Chairperson in executing the work which he is required or authorised by this section to execute, shall be repaid to him by the person to whom the notice was given and may be recovered from such person as an arrear of tax under this Act:
Provided that if under the provisions of this section, the Chairperson lays a main in lieu of a supply pipe, the additional cost incurred in laying the main instead of a supply pipe shall be borne by him.
(4) Notwithstanding anything contained in the foregoing provisions of this section, the Chairperson may, within a reasonable time after the service of the notice upon him, require the person giving the notice either to pay to him, in advance the cost of the work, as estimated by the Chairperson or any officer authorised by in this behalf or to give security for payment thereof to his satisfaction.
(5) If any payment made to the Chairperson under sub-section (4) exceeds the expenses which the Chairperson would be entitled to recover from the person giving the notice, the excess shall be repaid by him and if and so far as those expenses are not covered by the payment, the Chairperson may recover the balance from such person as an arrear of tax under this Act.