157. Provision of fire hydrants.
(1) The Chairperson shall fix hydrants on water mains (other than trunk mains) at such places as may be most convenient for affording a supply of water for extinguishing any fire which may break out and shall keep in good order and from time to time renew every such hydrant.
(2) To denote the situation of every hydrant placed under this section, letters, marks or figures shall be displayed prominently on some wall, building or other structure near such hydrant.
(3) As soon as any such hydrant is completed, the Chairperson shall deposit a key thereof at each place where a public fire engine is kept and in such other places as he deems necessary.
(4) The Chairperson may, at the request and expense of the owner or occupier of any factory, workshop, trade premises or place of business situated in or near a street in which a pipe is laid (and not being a trunk main and being of sufficient dimensions to carry a hydrant), fix on the pipe and keep in good order and from time to time renew one or more fire hydrants, to be used only for extinguishing fires as near as conveniently may be to that factory, workshop, trade premises or place of business.
(5) The Chairperson shall allow all persons to take water for extinguishing fires from any pipe on which a hydrant is fixed without any payment.