147. Functions in relation to water supplies.
(1) It shall be the duty of the Council to take steps from time to time
(a) for ascertaining the sufficiency and wholesomeness of water supplies within New Delhi and receiving bulk supplies of water from the authority prescribed by the Central Government;
(b) for providing a supply of wholesome water in pipes to every part of New Delhi in which there are houses, for the domestic purposes of the occupants thereof, and for taking the pipes affording that supply to such point or points as will enable the houses to be connected thereto at a reasonable cost, so, however, that this clause shall not require the Council to do anything which is not practicable at a reasonable cost or to provide such a supply to any part of New Delhi where such a supply is already available at such point or points aforesaid;
(c) for providing as far as possible, a supply of wholesome water otherwise than in pipes to every part of New Delhi in which there are houses, for the domestic purposes of the occupants thereof and to which it is not practicable to provide a supply in pipes at a reasonable cost, and in which danger to health arises from the insufficiency or unwholesomeness of the existing supply and a public supply is required and can be provided at a reasonable cost, and for securing that such supply is available within a reasonable distance of every house in that part.
(2) If any question arises under clause (b) of sub-section (1) as to whether anything is or is not practicable at a reasonable cost or as to the point or points to which pipes must be taken in order to enable houses to be connected to them at a reasonable cost, or under clause (c) thereof, as to whether a public supply can be provided at a reasonable cost, the Council shall determine that question and thereupon it shall give effect to that determination.
(3) Without prejudice to the provisions of sub-section (1), the Chairperson shall, for the purpose of securing, so far as is reasonably practicable, that every house has available a sufficient supply of wholesome water for domestic purposes, exercise his powers under this Act of requiring the owners of houses to provide a supply of water thereto.
(4) The Council shall secure that the water in any water works belonging to the Council from which the water is supplied for domestic purpose is wholesome.