159. Power to make regulations in respect of naval prisons and detention quarters.
(1) The Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, make regulations providing,
(a) for the government, management and regulation of naval prisons and detention quarters;
(b) for the appointment and removal and powers of inspectors, visitors and officers thereof;
1. Subs. by Act 48 of 1982, s. 10, for "Code of Criminal Procedure, 1898 (5 of 1898)" (w.e.f. 16-10-1982).
*. Vide notification No. S.O. 3912(E), dated 30th October, 2019, this Act is made applicable to the Union territory of Jammu and Kashmir and the Union territory of Ladakh.
(c) for the food, bedding and clothing of prisoners or persons undergoing detention therein;
(d) for the labour of such prisoners or persons therein and for enabling such prisoners or persons to earn by special industry and good conduct remission of a portion of their sentence; and
(e) for the care of such prisoners or persons, their safe custody and the maintenance of good order and discipline among them and the punishment by personal correction, restraint or otherwise of offences committed by such prisoners or persons.
(2) The regulations to be made under this section may apply to naval prisons or detention quarters any of the provisions of the Prisons Act, 1894 (9 of 1874), and rules made thereunder, imposing punishments on any persons not being prisoners or relating to the duties of gaolers, medical officers and other officers of the prisons.
(3) The regulations to be made under this section shall not authorise corporal punishment to be inflicted for any offence.