14. Prize salvage.-
(1) Where any ship or goods or aircraft belonging to an Indian citizen, after being taken as prize by the enemy is or are retaken from the enemy, the same shall be restored by decree of a Prize Court to the owner on his paying to the Central Government as prize salvage one-eighth part of the value of the prize to be decreed and ascertained by the Prize Court or such sum not exceeding one-eighth part of the estimated value of the prize as may be agreed upon between the owner and the Central Government and approved by the order of the Prize Court:
Provided that where the recapture is made in the circumstances of special difficulty or danger, the Prize Court may if it thinks fit award to the Central Government as prize salvage a larger part than one-eighth but not exceeding in any case one-fourth part of the value of the prize:
Provided further that where a ship or aircraft after being so taken is set forth or used by the enemy as a ship-of-war or military aircraft, the aforesaid provision for restitution shall not apply and subject to such compensation to the owner as the Prize Court may determine, the ownership of such ship or aircraft shall vest in the Central Government.
(2) Where a ship belonging to any Indian citizen, after being taken as prize, is retaken from the enemy, such ship may, with the consent of the recaptors, prosecute her voyage and it will not be necessary for the Central Government to proceed to adjudication till her return to a port in India.
(3) The master or owner of the ship or his agent may, with the consent of the Central Government, unload and dispose of the goods on board the ship before adjudication.
(4) In case the ship does not return within six months to a port in India, the Central Government may nevertheless institute proceedings against the ship or goods in a Prize Court and the Prize Court may thereupon award prize salvage as aforesaid and may enforce payment thereof.
(5) The provisions of sub-sections (2), (3) and (4) shall mutatis mutandis apply also to an aircraft belonging to any Indian citizen which, after being taken as prize, is retaken from the enemy.