14. Enlistment for national service.-
(1) Subject to such priorities as may be prescribed, the Central Government may cause to be served on any qualified person for the time being liable under this Act to be called up for national service, who has been found, after an examination of his physical and mental condition, fit for such service, a written notice in the prescribed form (in this Act referred to as the "enlistment notice") stating that he is called up for national service in such one of the Armed Forces of the Union or in such other service as may be specified in the enlistment notice and requiring him to present himself at such place and at such time and to such authority, as may be specified in the notice:
Provided that an enlistment notice under this section shall not require the person upon whom it is served to present himself on a day earlier than the fourteenth day after the date of service of the notice or such earlier day as may be determined at his request.
(2) An enlistment notice served on any qualified person shall cease to have effect if, before the day on which he is thereby required to present himself, he ceases to be liable to be called up for national service under this Act.
(3) The Central Government may pay to persons required to present themselves in pursuance of an enlistment notice served upon them travelling and other allowances in accordance with such scales as may be prescribed.
(4) If on the day specified in the enlistment notice as the day on which the person to whom the notice relates is required to present himself for national service-
(a) a postponement certificate relating to him is in force, or
(b) any appeal or application by him for postponement of national service is pending,
the enlistment notice served on him shall be of no effect.
(5) The enlistment notice shall be served in such manner as may be prescribed.