3. Establishment of the Institute.
(1) With effect from such date as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette appoint, the National Institute of Fashion Technology shall be established as a body corporate by the name aforesaid.
(2) The Institute shall have perpetual succession and a common seal with power, subject to the provisions of this Act, to acquire, hold and dispose of property and to contract, and shall, by that name, sue or be sued.
(3) The Institute shall consist of the Board of Governors having the following persons, namely:
(a) a Chairperson, who shall be an eminent academician, scientist or technologist or professional, to be nominated by the Visitor;
(b) three Members of Parliament, two from Lok Sabha to be nominated by the Speaker of Lok Sabha and one from Rajya Sabha to be nominated by the Chairman of Rajya Sabha;
(c) the Director-General of the Institute, ex officio;
(d) the Financial Adviser of the Ministry or Department in the Government of India dealing with the National Institute of Fashion Technology, ex officio;
(e) the Joint Secretary, in the Ministry or Department in the Government of India dealing with the National Institute of Fashion Technology, ex officio;
(f) the representative of the Ministry or Department in the Government of India dealing with higher education to be nominated by the Secretary of that Ministry or Department, ex officio;
(g) five persons to be nominated by the Central Government, representing the States in which the campus of the Institute is located, from amongst persons who are academicians or industrialists of repute engaged in area of fashion technology; and
(h) two eminent experts in fashion technology, one of whom shall be an educationist, to be nominated by the Visitor on the recommendations of the Central Government.
(4) The term of office of the Chairperson and other members of the Board other than ex officiomembers thereof shall be three years and they shall be entitled for such allowances as may be determined by the Central Government.
(5) The term of office of members of the Board nominated to fill a casual vacancy shall continue for the remainder of the term of the member in whose place he has been nominated.
(6) The Board shall meet at least four times in a year at such place and time and observe such rules of procedure in regard to the transaction of business at its meetings as may be determined by the Board.
(7) It is hereby declared that the office of member of the Board of Governors shall not disqualify its holder for being chosen as, or for being, a member of either House of Parliament.