(1) The Director of the Institute shall be appointed by the Central Government for a tenure of five years in such manner and on such terms and conditions of service as may be prescribed.
(2) The Director shall be appointed on the recommendations of the Selection Committee constituted by the Central Government.
(3) The Director shall be the principal executive officer of the Institute and shall be responsible for-
(a) proper administration of the Institute and for imparting of instructions and maintenance of discipline therein;
(b) co-ordination of activities of all the Institute campuses;
(c) examining the development plans of the Institute and each Institute campus and to approve such of them as are considered necessary and also to indicate broadly the financial implications of such approved plans; and
(d) examining the annual budget estimates of the Institute and each Institute campus and to recommend to the Central Government the allocation of funds for that purpose.
(4) The Director shall exercise such other powers and perform such other duties as may be assigned to him by this Act, Statutes and Ordinances. (5) The Director shall submit annual reports and accounts to the Governing Council.
(6) The Central Government shall have the power to remove the Director before expiry of his tenure, if it considers it appropriate to do so.