52A. Power of National Housing Bank to impose fine.-
(1) Notwithstanding anything contained in section 49, if the contravention or default of the nature referred to in section 49 is committed by a housing finance institution which is a company, the National Housing Bank may impose on such institution-
(a) a penalty not exceeding five thousand rupees; or
(b) where the contravention or default is under sub-section (2A) or clause (a) or clause (aa) of sub-section (3) of section 49, a penalty not exceeding five lakh rupees or twice the amount involved in such contravention or default, where the amount is quantifiable, whichever is more; and where such contravention or default is a continuing one, further penalty which may extend to twenty-five thousand rupees for every day, after the first, during which the contravention or default continues.
(2) For the purpose of imposing penalty under sub-section (1), the National Housing Bank shall serve a notice on the housing finance institution requiring it to show cause why the amount specified in the notice should not be imposed as a penalty and a reasonable opportunity of being heard shall also be given to such housing finance institution.
(3) Any penalty imposed by the National Housing Bank under this section shall be payable within a period of thirty days from the date on which notice issued by the National Housing Bank demanding payment of the sum is served on the housing finance institution and, in the event of failure of the housing finance institution to pay the sum within such period, may be levied on a direction made by the principal civil court having jurisdiction in the area where the registered office or the head office of the housing finance institution is situated: Provided that no such direction shall be made, except on an application made by an officer of the National Housing Bank authorised in this behalf, to the principal civil court.
(4) The court which makes a direction under sub-section (3), shall issue a certificate specifying the sum payable by the housing finance institution and every such certificate shall be enforceable in the same manner as if it were a decree made by the court in a civil suit.
(5) No complaint shall be filed against any housing finance institution in any court of law pertaining to any contravention or default in respect of which any penalty has been imposed by the National Housing Bank under this section.
(6) Where any complaint has been filed against a housing finance institution in a court in respect of contravention or default of the nature referred to in section 49, no proceedings for imposition of penalty against the housing finance institution shall be taken under this section.]
1. Subs. by Act 15 of 2000, s. 26, for section 52 (w.e.f. 12-6-2000).