31. Power of National Housing Bank to collect information from housing finance institutions as to deposits and to give directions.-
(1) The National Housing Bank may at any time direct that every housing finance institution accepting deposits shall furnish to the National Housing Bank in such form, at such intervals and within such time, such statements, information or particulars relating to or connected with deposits received by the housing finance institution, as may be specified by the National Housing Bank by general or special order.
(2) Without prejudice to the generality of the power vested in the National Housing Bank under sub-section (1), the statements, information or particulars to be furnished under sub-section (1), may relate to all or any of the following matters, namely, the amount of the deposits, the purposes and periods for which, and the rates of interest and other terms and conditions on which, such deposits are received.
(3) The National Housing Bank may, if it considers necessary in the public interest so to do, give directions to housing finance institutions accepting deposits either generally or to any group of housing finance institutions accepting deposits, and in particular, in respect of any matters relating to, or connected with, the receipt of deposits, including1[credit rating of the housing finance institution accepting deposits,] the rates of interest payable on such deposits, and the periods for which deposits may be received.
(4) If any housing finance institution accepting deposits fails to comply with any direction given by the National Housing Bank, under sub-section (3), the National Housing Bank may prohibit the acceptance of deposits by that housing finance institution.
(5) Every housing finance institution receiving deposits, shall, if so required by the National Housing Bank and within such time as the National Housing Bank may specify, cause to be sent at the cost of the housing finance institution, a copy of its annual balance-sheet and profit and loss account or other annual accounts to every person from whom the housing finance institution holds, as on the last day of the year to which the accounts relate, deposits higher than such sum as may be specified by the National Housing Bank.