29B. Maintenance of percentage of assets.-
(1) Every housing finance institution shall invest and continue to invest in India in unencumbered approved securities, valued at a price not exceeding the current market price of such securities, an amount which, at the close of business on any day, shall not be less than five per cent. or such higher percentage not exceeding twenty-five per cent. as the National Housing Bank may, from time to time and by notification, specify, of the deposits outstanding at the close of business on the last working day of the second preceding quarter.
(2) Every housing finance institution shall maintain in India in an account with a scheduled bank in term deposits or certificate of deposits (free of charge or lien) or in deposits with the National Housing Bank or by way of subscription to the bonds issued by the National Housing Bank, or partly in such account or in such deposit or partly by way of such subscription, a sum which, at the close of business on any day, together with the investment made under sub-section (1) shall not be less than ten per cent. or such higher percentage not exceeding twenty-five per cent., as the National Housing Bank may, from time to time and by notification specify, of the deposits outstanding in the books of the housing finance institution at the close of business on the last working day of the second preceding quarter.
(3) For the purpose of ensuring compliance with the provisions of this section, the National Housing Bank may require every such housing finance institution to furnish a return to it in such form, in such a manner and for such period as may be specified by the National Housing Bank.
(4) If the amount invested by a housing finance institution at the close of business on any day is less than the rate specified under sub-section (1) or sub-section (2), such housing finance institution shall be liable to pay to the National Housing Bank, in respect of such shortfall, a penal interest at a rate of three per cent. per annum above the bank rate on such amount by which the amount actually maintained or invested falls short of the specified percentage, and where the shortfall continues in the subsequent quarters, the rate of penal interest shall be five per cent. per annum above the bank rate on such shortfall for each subsequent quarter.
(5) (a) The penal interest payable under sub-section (4) shall be payable within a period of fourteen days from the date on which a notice issued by the National Housing Bank demanding payment of the same is served on the housing finance institution and, in the event of a failure of the housing finance institution to pay the same within such period, may be levied by a direction of the principal civil court having jurisdiction in the area where an office of the defaulting housing finance institution is situated and such direction shall be made only upon and application made in this behalf to the court by the National Housing Bank; and
(b) When the court makes a direction under clause (a), it shall issue a certificate specifying the sum payable by the housing finance institution and every such certificate shall be enforceable in the manner as if it were a decree made by the court in a suit.
(6) Notwithstanding anything contained in this section, if the National Housing Bank is satisfied that the defaulting housing finance institution had sufficient cause for its failure to comply with the provisions of sub-section (1) or sub-section (2), it may not demand the payment of the penal interest.
Explanation.-For the purposes of this section,-
(i) "approved securities" means securities of any State Government or of the Central Government and such bonds, both the principal whereof and the interest whereon shall have been fully and unconditionally guaranteed by any such Government;
(ii) "unencumbered approved securities" includes the approved securities lodged by the housing finance institution with another institution for an advance or any other arrangement to the extent to which such securities have not been drawn against or availed of or encumbered in any manner;
(iii) "quarter" means the period of three months ending on the last day of March, June, September or December.
1. Subs. by Act 13 of 2018, s. 169, for "the Companies Act, 1956 (1 of 1956)" (w.e.f. 1-6-2018).