4[8A. Power of Central Government to enter into agreements for development and maintenance of national highways.-
(1) Notwithstanding anything contained in this Act, the Central Government may enter into an agreement with any person in relation to the development and maintenance of the whole or any part of a national highway.
(2) Notwithstanding anything contained in section 7, the person referred to in sub-section (1) is entitled to collect and retain fees at such rate, for services or benefits rendered by him as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, specify having regard to the expenditure involved in building, maintenance, management and operation of the whole or part of such national highway, interest on the capital invested, reasonable return, the volume of traffic and the period of such agreement.
(3) A person referred to in sub-section (1) shall have powers to regulate and control the traffic in accordance with the provisions contained in Chapter VIII of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 (59 of 1988) on the national highway forming subject-matter of such agreement, for proper management thereof.
1. Ins. by Act 1 of 1993, s. 2 (w.r.e.f. 23-10-1992).
2. The proviso ins. by Act 30 of 1977, s. 2 (w.e.f. 12-8-1977).
3. Section 8 omitted by Act 16 of 1997, s. 4 (w.e.f. 24-1-1997).
4. Ins. by Act 26 of 1995, s. 2 (w.e.f. 16-6-1995).
5. Ins. by Act 16 of 1997, s. 5 (w.e.f. 21-1-1997).
6. Subs. by Act 30 of 1977, s. 3, for clause (b) (w.e.f. 12-8-1977).
7. Ins. by Act 1 of 1993, s. 3 (w.r.e.f. 23-10-1992).