The National Green Tribunal Act, 2010
4. Composition of Tribunal. –
1. The Tribunal shall consist of-
a. a full time Chairperson;
b. not less than ten but subject to maximum of twenty full time Judicial Members as the Central Government may, from time to time, notify;
c. not less than ten but subject to maximum of twenty full time Expert Members, as the Central Government may, from time to time, notify.
2. The Chairperson of the Tribunal may, if considered necessary, invite any one or more person having specialised knowledge and experience in a particular case before the Tribunal to assist the Tribunal in that case.
3. The Central Government may, by notification, specify the ordinary place or places of sitting of the Tribunal, and the territorial jurisdiction falling under each such place of sitting.
4. The Central Government may, in consultation with the Chairperson of the Tribunal, make rules regulating generally the practices and procedure of the Tribunal including-
a. the rules as to the persons who shall be entitled to appear before the Tribunal;
b. the rules as to the procedure for hearing applications and appeals and other matters [including the circuit procedure for hearing at a place other than the ordinary place of its sitting falling within the jurisdiction referred to in sub-section (3)], pertaining to the applications and appeals;
c. the minimum number of Members who shall hear the applications and appeals in respect of any class or classes of applications and appeals: Provided that the number of Expert Members shall, in hearing an application or appeal, be equal to the number of Judicial Members hearing such application or appeal;
d. rules relating to transfer of cases by the Chairperson from one place of sitting (including the ordinary place of sitting) to other place of sitting.