National Environment Appellate Authority Act, 1997
5. Qualifications for appointment as Chairperson, Vice-Chairperson or Member.-
(1) A person shall not be qualified for appointment as a Chairperson unless he has been -
(a) a Judge of the Supreme Court; or
(b) the Chief Justice of a High Court.
(2) A person shall not be qualified for appointment as a Vice-Chairperson unless be has -
(a) for at least two years held the post of a Secretary to the Government of India or any other post under the Central or State Government carrying a scale of pay which is not less than that of a Secretary to the Government of India; and
(b) expertise or experience in administrative, legal, managerial or technical aspects of problems relating to environment.
(3) A person shall not be qualified for appointment as a Member unless he has professional knowledge or practical experience in the areas pertaining to conservation, environmental management, law or planning and development.
(4) The Chairperson, the Vice-Chairperson and the Members shall be appointed by the President.