Establishment of The Council
3. Establishment of the Council.-
(1) With effect from such date as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint, there shall be established a Council to be called the National Council for Teacher Education.
(2) The Council shall be a body corporate by the name aforesaid, having perpetual succession and a common seal with power to contract and shall, by the said name, sue and be sued.
(3) The head office of the Council shall be at Delhi and the Council may, with the previous approval of the Central Government, establish regional offices at other places in India.
(4) The Council shall consist of the following Members, namely:-
(a) a Chairperson to be appointed by the Central Government;
(b) a Vice-Chairperson to be appointed by the Central Government;
(c) a Member-Secretary to be appointed by the Central Government;
(d) the Secretary to the Government of India in the Department dealing with Education, ex officio;
(e) the Chairman, University Grants Commission established under section 4 of the University Grants Commission Act, 1956 (3 of 1956) or a member thereof nominated by him, ex officio;
(f) the Director, National Council of Educational Research and Training, ex officio;
(g) the Director, National Institute of Educational Planning and Administration, ex officio;
(h) the Adviser (Education), Planning Commission, ex officio;
(i) the Chairman, Central Board of Secondary Education, ex officio;
(j) the Financial Adviser to the Government of India in the Department dealing with Education, ex officio;
(k) the Member-Secretary, All-India Council for Technical Education, ex officio;
(l) the Chairpersons of all Regional Committees, ex officio;
(m) thirteen persons possessing experience and knowledge in the field of education or teaching to be appointed by the Central Government as under, from amongst the-
(i) Deans of Faculties of Education and Professors of Education in Universities -Four;
(ii) experts in secondary teacher education - One;
(iii) experts in pre-primary and primary teacher education -Three;
(iv) experts in non-formal education and adult education -Two;
(v) experts in the field of natural sciences, social sciences, linguistics, vocational education, work experience, educational technology and special education, by rotation, in the manner prescribed -Three;
(n) nine Members to be appointed by the Central Government to represent the States and Union territory Administrations in the manner prescribed;
(o) three Members of Parliament of whom one shall be nominated by the Chairman of the Council of States and two by the Speaker of the House of the People;
(p) three Members to be appointed by the Central Government from amongst teachers of primary and secondary education and teachers of recognised institutions.
(5) It is hereby declared that the office of the Member of the Council shall not disqualify its holder for being chosen as or for being a member of either House of Parliament.
1. Ins. by Act 18 of 2011, s. 4 (w.e.f. 1-6-2012).