20. Regional Committees.-
(1) The Council shall, by notification in the Official Gazette, establish the following Regional Committees, namely:-
(i) the Eastern Regional Committee;
(ii) the Western Regional Committee;
(iii) the Northern Regional Committee; and
(iv) the Southern Regional Committee.
(2) The Council may, if it considers necessary, establish with the approval of the Central Government, such other Regional Committees as it may deem fit.
(3) The Regional Committee shall consist of the following members, namely:-
(a) a Member to be nominated by the Council;
(b) one representative from each of the States and the Union territories of the region, to be nominated by the respective States and the Union territories;
(c) such number of persons, having special knowledge and experience in matters relating to teacher education, as may be determined by regulations.
(4) The Council shall nominate one of the members of the concerned Regional Committee to function as the chairperson of the said Committee.
(5) The term of office of the members referred to in clause (c) and the allowances payable to such members shall be such as may be determined by regulations.
(6) The Regional Committee shall, in addition to its functions under sections 14, 15 and 17, perform such other functions, as may be assigned to it by the Council or as may be determined by regulations.
(7) The functions of, the procedure to the followed by, the territorial jurisdiction of, and the manner of filling casual vacancies among members of, a Regional Committee shall be such as may be determined by regulations.