The National Commission for Backward Classes Act, 1993
3. Constitution of National Commission for Backward Classes.
- The Central Government shall constitute a body to be known as the National Commission for Backward Classes to exercise the powers conferred on, and to perform the functions assigned to, it under this Act.
- The Commission shall consist of the following Members nominated by the Central Government:-
- A Chairperson, who is or has been a Judge of the Supreme Court or of a High Court;
- a social scientist;
- Two persons, who have special knowledge in matters relating to backward classes; and
- a Member-Secretary, who is or has been an officer of the Central Government in the rank of a Secretary to the Government of India.