The National Commission for Backward Classes Act, 1993
In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires,-
- "Backward classes" means such backward classes of citizens other than the Scheduled Castes and the Scheduled Tribes, as may be specified by the Central Government in the lists;
- "Commission" means the National Commission for Backward Classes constituted under section 3;
- "lists" means lists prepared by the Government of India from time to time, for purposes of making provision for the reservation of appointments or posts in favour of backward classes of citizens which, in the opinion of that Government, are not adequately represented in the services under the Government of India and any local or other authority within the territory of India or under the control of the Government of India;
- "Member" means a Member of the Commission and includes the Chairperson;
- "Prescribed" means prescribed by rules made under this Act.