National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development Act, 1981
Chapter IV: Transfer of Business to the National Bank
16. Transfer of assets and liabilities of Agricultural Refinance and Development Corporation.-
1. On such date as the Central Government, in consultation with the Reserve Bank may, by notification, appoint, the entire undertaking of the Agricultural Refinance and Development Corporation (hereafter in this Chapter referred to as the "Corporation") including all business, property, assets and liabilities, rights, interests, privileges and obligations of whatever nature, shall stand transferred to and vest in the National Bank.
2. As compensation for the transfer of the undertaking of the Corporation to the National Bank under sub-section (1), the National Bank shall within six months from the date appointed under that sub- section (hereafter in this section referred to as the appointed date) pay to the shareholders of the Corporation a sum equal to the total paid-up capital of the Corporation as on the date immediately preceding the appointed date.
3. The amount of compensation payable under sub-section (2) to the shareholders of the Corporation shall be apportioned among the shareholders in proportion to their contributions to the paid-up capital of the Corporation as on the date immediately preceding the appointed date.
Explanation.-- For the purposes of this sub-section, "shareholders of the Corporation" means shareholders of the Corporation whose names appear on the register of shareholders maintained under section 8 of the Agricultural Refinance and Development Corporation Act, 1963 (10 of 1963), on the date immediately preceding the appointed date.
4. The National Bank shall also pay to the shareholders of the Corporation referred to in sub-section (2) an amount calculated at the rate at which the shares of the Corporation were guaranteed as to the payment of minimum divided under section 6 of the Agricultural Refinance and Development Corporation Act, 1963 (10 of 1963), for the period, if any, that has expired in the accounting year of the Corporation before the appointed date and this amount the National Bank shall distribute to the shareholders of the Corporation referred to in sub-section (2) in proportion to the shares held by such shareholders on the date immediately preceding the appointed date and at the rate at which such shares were guaranteed as to the payment of minimum dividend.
5. All contracts, deeds, bonds, agreements, powers of attorney, grants of legal representation and other instruments of whatever nature subsisting or having effect immediately before the appointed date and to which the Corporation is a party, or which are in favour of the Corporation, shall be of as full force and effect against or in favour of the National Bank, as the case may be, and may be enforced or acted upon as fully and effectually as if instead of the Corporation the National Bank had been a party thereto, or as if they had been in favour of the National Bank.
6. If, immediately before the appointed date, any suit, appeal or other legal proceeding of whatever nature, is pending, by or against the Corporation, the same shall not abate, be discontinued or be in any way prejudicially affected by reason of the transfer to the National Bank of the undertaking of the Corporation, or of anything contained in this Act, but the suit, appeal or other proceeding may be continued, prosecuted and enforced, by or against the National Bank.