78. Inquiry by Central Registrar.
(1) The Central Registrar may, on a request from a federal co- operative to which a multi-State co-operative society is affiliated or a creditor or not less than one-thirdof the members of the board or not less than one-fifth of the total number of members of a multi-Stateco- operative society hold an inquiry or direct some person authorised by him by order in writing in this behalf to hold an inquiry into the constitution, working and financial condition of a multi-State co- operative society:
Provided that no inquiry under this sub-section shall be held unless a notice of not less than fifteen days has been given to the multi-State co-operative society.
(2) The Central Registrar or the person authorised by him under sub-section (1) shall have the following powers, namely:
(a) he shall at all reasonable times have free access to the books, accounts, documents, securities, cash and other properties belonging to or in the custody of the multi-State co-operativesociety and may summon any person in possession or responsible for the custody of any such books, accounts, documents, securities, cash or other properties to produce the same, at any place specified by him;
(b) he may, notwithstanding any bye-law specifying the period of notice for a general meeting of the multi-State co-operative society, require the officers of the society to call a general meeting of the
society by giving notice of not less than seven days at such time and place at the headquarters of the society to consider such matters, as may be directed by him; and where the officers of the society refuse or fail to call such a meeting, he shall have power to call it himself;
(c) he may summon any person who is reasonably believed by him to have any knowledge of the affairs of the multi-State co-operative society to appear before him at any place at the headquarters of the society or any branch thereof and may examine such person on oath.
(3) Any meeting called under clause (b) of sub-section (2) shall have all the powers of a general meeting of the society called under the byelaws of the society and its proceedings shall be regulated by such bye-laws.
(4) The Central Registrar shall, within a period of three months of the date of receipt of the report, communicate the report of inquiry to the multi-State co-operative society, the financial institutions, if any, to which the society is affiliated, and to the person or authority, if any, at whose instance the inquiry is made.